Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekly Menu and Baking Creations/Trials

Well, for this week I've decided we'll have tacos tonight (Monday), Garden Vegetable Wraps on Tuesday, Vegetable Lasagna for Wednesday (using fresh CSA vegetables that I'll pick up at 4pm) and Chicken Croquets on Thursday. Each night we'll have fresh corn on the cob that I've gotten from the CSA or at the store...mostly from the CSA though. I love Spiral Path Farms-that's where we get our CSA vegetables from and I love them! We get such a variety and I can hardly use all the vegetables each week because we get so many! I'll let you know which recipes were Ryan-rated to see what he liked and didn't really.

In our CSA last week, we got sweet corn, red tomatoes, red onions, heirloom tomatoes (so yummy), grape cherry tomatoes (great with low fat ranch dip), lettuce, cucumber and green bell peppers. At this point, we've already used our red tomatoes, cup up the onions for the freezer, used the heirloom tomatoes/lettuce/cucumbers and bell peppers for a salad last week for my in-laws and we're eating the sweet corn this week. I'll be eating the cherry tomatoes for lunches this week...or what's left of them. (They were part of my lunch on Saturday and I even tried to get my niece, Natasha to eat one, in which she replied she didn't like them...oh well, we tried)

My next creative endeavor is to create a Spongebob cake for my niece's birthday party this weekend. I've never tried using fondant, but thanks to Peggy Weaver, at whatscookingamerica.net, I found what seems like an easy fondant that I'm going to try making in the next few days to see how it works. I'll keep you updated on how that experience goes...it'll definitely be a trial run. If it works then I'll use it for the cake on Saturday, and if it doesn't I'll just try to make the cakes with icing only and recreate my design. I'll also be posting the different designs I'm looking at so rate each of them on a scale of 1-10...1 is your least favorite and 10 is your most favorite! I'll choose the highest rated one for my design. Can't wait to see what everyone likes! I'm up for a challenge and have all day Saturday to make it...which it might take that long! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment